We stayed a considerable amount of time in Siem Reap (almost 3 months) trying to buy some time in generating a buffer before moving again to another town. And at the same time, used the time to build more websites that I hope in the future could help generate more travel funds.
We did stay in a hostel on the first month and decided to move to a studio apartment instead so we could save more money by cooking our own food not to mention that monthly rate is way cheaper than daily rate and it helped us save a considerable amount of money by staying longer.
In my three months of staying there, I learned some valuable resources that could help you find cheap apartments in Siem Reap.
1. Angkor Market Bulletin Board: Angkor Market is a mini supermarket located along Sivatha Road near Lucky Mall. It has a small bulletin board on the right side (if you’re facing the entrance door) where apartments and houses for rent are posted.
2. Angkor Real Estate: Angkor Real Estate is one of the most updated listings of apartments for rent in Siem Reap.
3. Tonghor: Tonghor has listings for service apartments in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.
4. Bongthom Classifieds: Bongthom is an online classified ads with apartment listings in major cities and towns in Cambodia.
5. Walk Around and Ask When we first got there, we didn’t know much about these websites and just did the old fashion way of walking around and asking locals and expats about cheap apartments in Siem Reap. And ended up staying in a studio apartment in a hostel which seemd to be a nice alternative as well.
If you’re not intending to cook your own meals but wants to stay for a couple of months in Siem Reap, hostels would still be a great alternative since a lot of them offers discounts for long term staying guests especially for volunteers in Siem Reap. A couple of hostels that I know that offers monthly rate include, Naga Guesthouse and City Angkor Guesthouse.
If you’re staying for just a couple of days, you can also check Agoda for the latest rates and discounts offered by various hostels and hotels in Siem Reap.
Photo Credits: Room by Naga Guesthouse