Thamel is the most popular tourists area in Kathmandu just like Khao San Road in Bangkok. You’ll find so many affordable guesthouses, restaurants, cafes, bars, outdoor shops, souvenir shops and more. Even those who are not staying in Thamel go to this place to do some shopping for souvenirs before they fly out of Kathmandu.
Here are some of the products that you’ll commonly find in Thamel:
Very popular clothing items among travelers
So many outdoor shops in Thamel selling hiking/trekking gears
Locally made jewelries and accessories usually made from wood, stones or yak bones
Products made from Hemp Fiber
Khukuris – One of the most popular and highly sought after souvenir items
Some tips on how to save money when shopping in Thamel:
1. Shop around first before making a purchase. We bought a few Tibetan locks and we were quoted 2000-2500 Rupees per piece in the shops near Thamel Road and Tridevi but when we walk further north we found cheaper prices and eventually found one shop who sold it to us for 550 Rupees a piece.
2. Bargain politely. Most shops don’t have fix prices (some do though) so don’t accept the initial price that they tell you. Negotiate the price especially if you’re buying a lot.
3. Buy at the wholesaler’s shop, it’s easy to find these shops and their prices are qay cheaper than the other shops.
4. A lot of counterfeit outdoor gears are being sold in Thamel for a fraction of the price of the original ones. If you’re not keen on buying counterfeit products there are some authentic shops along Tridevi Marg selling authentic products such as North Face, Marmot and Mountain Hardware.
5. If you’re buying brass ware and wool shawls, Indra Chowk is a better place to get great deals.