The flower market at Mullik Ghat is located at the East Side of the Howrah Bridge of Kolkata. It’s a nice place to take photos due to the vibrant colors of different flowers and the bustling activities in this market.
Markets have always been one of my favorite destinations whenever I go to different places. It’s like a sensory overload experience that you wouldn’t find anywhere else.
The flower markets in particular would obviously be the most colorful place to visit. Prior to my visit in Mullik Ghat, I’ve visited various flower markets in Manila, Bangkok and in Paris. All of them are very photogenic. The flowers that you’ll find mostly in Manila and Bangkok looks almost similar maybe because they both came from tropical places but the flowers you see in the markets of Paris are very different and colorful. When visiting Paris and other temperate/colder places, I suggest you visit their flower markets to see the difference.
I noticed the difference too with the flowers I saw in Mullik Ghat and in Darjeeling as the colors of the flowers in Darjeeling seems to be more vibrant than the ones I saw in Mullik Ghat.
Aside from the flower market, there are also other nice subjects around the market such as a nice view of the Howrah train Station from the Howrah Bridge, the Hooghly River and a nice temple at the side of Mullik Ghat.
Here are some pictures that I took at Mullik Ghat Flower Market:
Temple at Mullik Ghat
Howrah Train Station
Here are some tips if you’re interested to do your own photowalk at Mullik Ghat:
1. Go in the morning before 7AM. There are less vehicles and it’s easier to move around to take pictures.
2. Be careful with your belongings.
3. Be polite and ask permission especially if you’re gonna take a close-up shot of a person.
4. Wear shoes because it can be muddy.
5. Don’t block the street especially for those who are carrying heavy loads.
6. Taking pictures of Howrah Bridge is prohibited. We were stopped by a Policeman and asked to delete some pictures of the bridge.
This is definitely a nice place to visit in Kolkata. Go and see for yourself. Safe travels!