Malacca is one of the most beautiful and photogenic places that I’ve been to in Southeast Asia. We were in Malacca last December 2010 and we enjoyed our stay very much.
We went straight to Malacca from Singapore Airport by taking a bus to Johor Bahru and another connecting bus to Malacca. Doing it your own wouldn’t be a problem and it’s definitely cheaper comparing to buying a transportation package in Changi.
We also got lucky when we were there because the local tourism board arranged a Post Deepavali celebration and invited various tourists from different hostels and hotels to join them.
All of us got a free boat tour and was treated to a sumptuous Indian cuisine dinner. They also had various cultural presentations featuring local Indian, Chinese and Malay dances.
Here are some pictures of our trip in Malacca:
Here are some travel tips for Malacca:
1. Hostel Rates are more expensive during weekends and holidays. Book ahead if you’re planning to go there during those times as well as it can be quite difficult to find a cheap accommodation on the lower budget range.
2. There are numerous small Chinese Restaurants across the bridge that sells delicious but affordable meals.
3. Experience the rickshaw tour at night as it can be very hot and humid during the day.
4. Check out Jonkers Walk, Malacca’s vibrant night market and try some unique local delicacies.
5. Explore Malacca by foot and go beyond the Heritage Area. You’ll see a lot of interesting sights.