Not everyone is born with silver spoons in their mouths. Not everyone has loads of cash that they could easily spend on whatever your heart desires. But limited budget should not deter you from enjoying your passions in life such as travelling. There are tons of creative ways on how you could work on your budget and at the same time enjoy your trip or holidays.
Here are my five tips on saving money on the road and still enjoy your trip.
1. Save money on Flights: I’ve reiterated the importance of this one in a few articles in my website. The cost of airfare would take a huge toll on one’s budget especially if you’re flying long haul. Take some time to do offline and online research on how you could save online. Take advantage of airline promotions and plan your flights carefully so you could book months in advance which is often cheaper.
2. Research on Your Accommodation: List down the things you want to see in a particular city and look for cheap accommodations near that area. If you’re planning to do some sightseeing in Liverpool, make a research on the hotels in Liverpool city centre. If you’re planning to go sightseeing in Bangkok and wants to see the Grand Palace, Wat Arun or the Emerald Buddha then Khao San Road, Soi Rambuttri, Phra Athit Road would probably be some of your best choices.
3. Take Advantage of Transportation or Tour Passes: Some cities in different parts of the world offer transportation or tour passes to tourists to help them save money and time and probably see more of what the city has to offer.
4. Check out The Tourism Boards’ Website: A lot of countries have their own tourism boards’ website that helps disseminate information to tourists such as TAT of Thailand or Your Singapore. Check them out and go to the promotions or deals page and see what they offer that you might find interesting. Local events and celebrations are also posted in these websites.
5. DIY: In some cases, group tours and packages is often more costly that doing it your own. Make a research on the places you see and how to get to those places and list down the prices. If doing it your own would come up cheaper, then opt out of the package tours and explore the place by yourself. It’s even more fun. Be ready to get lost and see things that are not usually written in guidebooks. Be spontaneous and interact with locals. I’m sure you’re gonna enjoy it!
These are just some of the creative ways on how you could save money on the road. Feel free to add more in the comment section below. Have a safe trip!