Island hopping in Tunku Abdul Rahman Park could easily cost you a lot of money if you book thru travel agencies. You actually have the option to DIY it to save money. Here’s how:
Jesselton Ferry Terminal
1. Go to Jesselton Ferry Terminal and book your boats (price depends on number of islands you’ll visit). We paid RM37 each for four islands. Inform them of you desired itinerary (they’ll give you options depending on boat schedules).
2. Pay the terminal fess (RM7) before you leave the terminal. Proceed to the dock.
3. Before you leave the boat, ask the boatman the time of departure for the next destination. On the first island that you’ll visit, pay the RM10 Conservation Fee.
4. Stay and have fun on the island and go back to the dock on the scheduled time. The boat will pick you up and bring you to your next island.
Ain’t that easy
Here’s some tips if you want to enjoy your island hopping without breaking the bank:
1. Bring food and drinks.
2. You can rent a snorkelling mask and life vest in Jesselton (not included in your boat fare).
3. Pulau Manukan has restaurants in case you didn’t bring any food nor drinks.
3. Padang Point (Gaya Island’s southernmost tip) has monkeys and monitor lizards freely roaming the islands. DO NOT FEED the ANIMALS!
4. Protect your gadgets by putting them in a waterproof bag. If you don’t have any, there’s a small outdoor shop near Jesselton Port.
Here’s some pictures of the islands: